Langham Preaching in Australia!
Langham’s Preaching program is about training pastors and lay leaders (most of whom will never get to attend Bible college) to teach the Bible, equipping them to biblically shepherd their churches. The program is active in over 60 countries: throughout the Majority World and in other places where there are few evangelicals and a lack of training in expository preaching.
We are delighted to share with you two recent events held in Australia with pastors and lay leaders who will also benefit from this training.
Aboriginal Preacher’s training
This event had been planned for 2020, but was postponed twice due to the pandemic. The Level 1 training had been held in 2019. Last month they were finally able to do the Level 2, along with a Level 1 Refresher.
Steve Williams, Regional Coordinator for Langham Preaching in the South Pacific, writes:
Nine Aboriginal preachers met at Wyee on the NSW central coast for five days at the end of March for a long-postponed training seminar. It was both a refresher and a course in preaching from the New Testament.
The training was organised by an Aboriginal minister, Rick Manton and his wife Kayleen who minister at a church in Mt Druitt in western Sydney. People came from their church and there was also a young couple who came from the coast where they are wanting to begin a ministry.
Rick said this was a much needed seminar: “It is very important that we train and equip our leaders and pastors to become better preachers that know how to exegete passages and to have skilled preachers to show how that can be done.” Further training is planned at their church for those who were unable to come to Wyee.
Among those who led was a man from Fiji – Eroni, who did Langham training there and is now in Australia, where he has been serving in an Aboriginal community in Arnhem Land (Northern Territory).
The week was marked by great joy, hard work, and enthusiasm.”
Stephen thanks you for your prayers for this small-scale but important work.
Rural preacher’s training
Two preaching clubs have begun as a result of the training: one in the Riverina and another in Victoria.
Join us in prayer…
- In North West Asia, an online seminar, which was successfully trialled last year, is in process. Students and church leaders from several North West Asian countries will be participating, including those involved with the work of IFES. This project is a real encouragement as leaders attend from countries where Christians are often persecuted for their faith. Pray for their protection and for a productive time of learning together.
- Give thanks for the Aboriginal and the rural preachers training programs. Pray that all the participants will be able to put into practice what they learned at the seminars. Pray that if God wills, we will be able to offer this training to other Aboriginal pastors and rural preachers around the country.
- Thank you for praying for these upcoming Preaching training events (where a country is sensitive, the region is given):
- 10-16 April: East Asia, West Asia
- 17-23 April: Burundi, Austria, Sierra Leone, Uganda
- 24-30 April: Slovenia, Sierra Leone, Bolivia
- 1-7 May: East Asia, Albania, Croatia, Kenya, Thailand
- 8-14 May: Uganda (2), Colombia, Burundi, Switzerland, Sweden
- Please continue to pray for the various editorial teams involved in the large one-volume commentary projects, particularly those involved in the Africa Bible Commentary (revised edition), the Central and Eastern European Bible Commentary, and the Central Asian Bible Commentary. The projects are all at various stages, pray for effective and efficient work as these important resources are edited and proof-read.
- Pray for Ugandan Scholar Joseph Byamukama (supported by LPA) as he studies for his PhD in Kampala.
- As travel restrictions are lifting, there are a lot of study residencies taking place over the coming months, with Langham Scholars and Graduates taking the opportunity to travel and be part of a wider, international community, while still making progress with their PhD studies or other projects. Please pray for them.
- Please pray for the Leadership Team which will (for the first time in over two years) have some members meeting in person. Please pray for the technology to make a new hybrid form of meeting work well and communication smooth and open. Please pray God will give wisdom and discern in the strategic planning during that week.
- Pray for the International Council which will be meeting at the end of this month. Please pray for Jill McGilvray as she once again chairs these meeting via zoom
Join us on social media over Easter!
We will be posting links to three short videos from Langham folk around the world talking about what Easter means to them, starting on Thursday with Rev Dr Sunday Agang from Nigeria.
The Easter Sunday message is from Langham’s Global Ambassador Rev Dr Chris Wright and of course talks about the glorious resurrection of our Lord Jesus.
In case you’re not on Facebook, here is a link to his message.
May you be blessed this Easter as you remember Christ’s death and resurrection… our source of eternal hope!